Thursday, November 3, 2011



I really enjoyed this movie/music video on 21st Century Teachers. The video brings up the issue facing schools today: technology. Should teachers adapt to the new technology and the changing lifestyles of their students? Or should they stand behind their old ways and teach with textbooks and wooden desks?

I believe that it's absolutely necessary for a teacher to always keep learning, as the song in the video says. Not only does a teacher need to refamiliarize him/herself with the material that is being taught, but a teacher needs to learn new ways to teach. Even if they are not as effective in your classroom, I still believe that more harm comes from NOT trying a new technique, technological tool, etc., than comes from trying it and learning that it is not best in your classroom.

Some of the things that were shown in the video blew me away. I didn't realize all of the things that you can do with an IPad or an Ipod. It's impressive, and only enforces the fact that technology is becoming a way of life. Children are becoming more and more dependent, even, and accustomed to new technology, and it's not fair to them to exclude the tools from their life in school. If it helps them learn better, and allows them to learn more about the technology that they will use and need outside of school, and in the workplace, then what is the harm? From personal experience, having had computer classes throughout elementary and middle school, I believe that I have an advantage over people who are less computer literate than I am, and am better able to learn and succeed in my classes, and workplace. So how were my computer classes a harm to my education?

No comments:

Post a Comment